Lawyers have a lot of power – they can make or break companies, negotiate contracts, and help people get through difficult legal proceedings. In this article, we take a look at ten of the most influential lawyers in the United States. From politicians to celebrities, these lawyers are shaping the legal landscape and influencing opinions on important issues.
Ranking of the most powerful lawyers in the United States
- Robert M. Gates
2. Kenneth L. Starr
3. Lawrence F. Sullivan
4. Rudolph W. Giuliani
5. David Boies
6. Bruce Babbitt
7. Ted Olson
8. Paul Clement
9. David Axelrod
10. Theodore Olson
List of the most influential lawyers in the United States
- David Boies – Represented Al Gore in the 2000 presidential election and has been involved in many high-profile lawsuits across various industries.
2. Alan Dershowitz – Known for his work on civil liberties, Dershowitz has represented numerous celebrities and politicians in court.
3. Ted Olson – Olson is a conservative lawyer who has represented George W. Bush and other high-profile political figures.
4. Kenneth Starr – Former Independent Counsel for the Whitewater investigation, Starr is now a criminal defense attorney and author.
5. Laurence Tribe – One of America’s most prominent constitutional law experts, Tribe has represented both sides of many high-profile legal battles.
6. Pamela Paul – A partner at the law firm of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, Paul has represented numerous corporate clients in court.
7. Johnnie Cochran Jr. – One of the most successful trial lawyers in history, Cochran is now known for his work as a legal commentator and author.
8. Barry Silverman – Silverman is the founding partner of Silverman Law Firm, which is one of the largest personal injury law firms in
Description of the most powerful lawyers in the United States
- Ted Olson – One of the most well-known and respected lawyers in the United States, Olson has represented a variety of high-profile clients, including Republican presidential candidate George W. Bush and Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore. He also served as the deputy attorney general under President George H.W. Bush and is currently a partner at the prestigious law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.
- John Yoo – A former legal advisor to President George W. Bush, Yoo is perhaps best known for his controversial 2003 memo which argued that the US government could legally torture detainees if it was in accordance with US law at the time – a position he has since reversed himself on. Since leaving government service, Yoo has worked as a lawyer at Jones Day, one of the world’s largest law firms.
- David Boies – One of the most successful trial lawyers in American history, Boies has successfully represented numerous high-profile clients, both in civil and criminal courtrooms. He is currently a partner at the law firm Boies Schiller Flexner LLP and was recently named one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world.
- Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas – One
Description of the most influential lawyers in the United States
- Robert M. Morgenthau, Jr. – Former United States Attorney General and Senior Counsel to the Board of Directors of the Council on Foreign Relations.
2. Theodore Olson – Former United States Solicitor General and Partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. Olson has argued 19 cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, winning 11 while losing 6.
3. David Boies – Partner at Boies Schiller Flexner LLP and co-founder of the Public Citizen Litigation Group, which is considered one of the most influential pro-bono legal organizations in the United States.
4. Kenneth Starr – Former Independent Counsel for the Whitewater investigation, which led to President Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial; currently a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP and chairman of Starr International Capital Partners LLC.
5. Christopher Cox – Former United States District Judge for the Southern District of California and Chairman of Cox Enterprises Inc., one of the largest privately held companies in America with assets in excess of $25 billion.
6. Paul Clement – former United States Solicitor General who represented President George W. Bush in his successful fight against California’s Proposition 8 same-sex marriage ban
Comparison of the most powerful lawyers in the United States and their characteristics
In recent years, the legal profession has seen an influx of highly influential lawyers. These individuals hold positions of power and influence in their respective fields, and their voices are often heard above those of other professionals. In this article, we will compare the ten most powerful lawyers in the United States and discuss their key characteristics.
- Jeffrey Rosen
Jeffrey Rosen is a prominent attorney and a former legal adviser to President Bill Clinton. He currently serves as a senior fellow at the National Constitution Center and is the founder of The Rosen Law Firm. Rosen has played a leading role in several high-profile litigation cases, including the Defense of Marriage Act case and the Supreme Court case Obergefell v Hodges. He has also published several books on constitutional law.
- Alan Dershowitz
Alan Dershowitz is an American lawyer and academic who has been described as one of the most influential lawyers in America. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor Emeritus at Harvard Law School and a senior fellow at the Gatestone Institute. Dershowitz has spoken out against criminal justice reform and advocated for stronger protections for civil liberties, including free speech rights and religious liberty. He has also represented numerous prominent political figures,
Lawyers are some of the most powerful people in the United States, and their influence goes far beyond the courtroom. In this article, we will take a look at 10 of the most influential lawyers in America and what they have done to make an impact on society. From fighting for social justice to leading reform in the legal system, these lawyers have made a real difference in the lives of others. So if you’re ever thinking about suing somebody or need legal advice, be sure to consult one of these ten attorneys first!